Monday, January 9, 2012

Best in Beauty: 2011

Without further ado, some of my faves from 2011:


Lip Product: Revlon Lip Butters, around $6


For me, not only a best of 2011, but the single best lip product I have tried from the drugstore. I have tried numerous colors, and they all have great pay-off (Creme Brulee, Creamsicle, and Red Velvet are my faves). They have the texture of a balm, the look of lipstick, and the shine of a gloss. What more could you ask for?


Blush: Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge, $24


I have raved about this product before- the colors are gorgeous, the finish is beautiful, and the application is super easy. I will continue to repurchase and try new colors!


Mascara: Maybelline Falsies and Loreal Voluminous Millions, both around $7


Both mascaras are great on their own, but together they create the perfect combo of volume (Falsies) and length (Voluminous). Drugstore mascaras are really all you need for a fantastic look (for straight lashes, try the waterproof versions to hold curl longer during the day).


Eyeliner: Prestige Total Intensity, around $3 


Why does no one mentioned these liners??? They are like the Urban Decay 24/7 liners on steroids. They have the most gorgeous range of shades (even if not the largest range, they are all beautiful metallic and wearable colors- I especially love the brown and olive tones), and are around $3 at the drugstore! They are soooo long wearing it is ridiculous, and the color payoff is insane. These are a must to replace more expense liner.


Shadow:  Mac Paint Pot in Bare Study and Wet n' Wild Color Icon palettes 


My beloved Mac Paint Pots ($17.50) will always be at the top of my list for their staying power, ease of application, and beautiful sheen. This year, though, drugstore brands knocked it out of the park with their eye shadow formulations. Wet n' Wild palettes range from $2.50-$8 and are all super pigmented, creamy and really wearable. You can find numerous Mac color dupes in the palettes as well. 


Brush: Sephora Collection Pro Foundation Airbrush #55, $34


Because I almost never wear foundation, I hesitated before purchasing this beauty. When I stopped by my local Sephora, however, the luxurious softness won me over. I used this for blush and bronzer, and it wonderfully disperses color onto your face.


Face Product: Bobbi Brown Corrector, $22


I use this as a corrector/concealer under my eyes. It completely brightens my face and cancels out my dark circles. Even though the pot looks alarmingly small for the price, it has lasted my over 3 months (and going strong) of every day use. 


Bronzer: Too-Faced Chocolate Soleil, $28


This is very similar to Benefit's Hoola, but I find the Too-Faced slightly more wearable (plus it smells like chocolate!). Such a great matte finish that brightens your skin without the slightest hint of orange. Even though I love drugstore bronzers (NYC Sunny, Rimmel Sunlight, etc.), most of them have some form of shimmer or don't wear well over time. This one is my ultimate pick and I will continue to re-purchase. 


Nail Polish: Chanel Graphite, $26


This polish is packed with multifaceted silver/gunmetal sparkles- whenever I wear this, all eyes go straight to my nails. It is ultra-glam, and the quality of Chanel polishes is fantastic across the board. The price-point is INSANELY high, so save this product as a special treat. I personally like to think of it as reasonably priced jewelry. 


Hair Product: Moroccan Oil


I am not picky about the brand, but Moroccan Oil has changed my hair. I have been using a pea-sized drop of oil in my hair every time I shower for over a year now, and my hair is soft, manageable and damage-free (my hairdresser even asked what I had been using!). You can find this at a couple of different price points, ranging from $10 up, but all are very similar.


Skin Product: Clean and Clear Morning Burst In-shower Facial and Dr. Hauschka Toner


The Clean and Clear is a great pick-me-up product. You let a small amount sit on your face in the shower while the steam works to open your pores and get a deeper clean. Really brightens the looks of my skin, and the price (around $6 at drugstores) is really reasonable. 


The Dr. Hauschka toner is a fairly new addition to my routine, but the results are undeniable. I love to use toner morning and night, and this one smooths out my skin and cleans out my pores without over-drying. The price is steep at around $35, but I could not go a day without this.

1 comment: